“If a loved one starts choking, you don’t have to think about anything… the LifeVac does all the work. And it’s completely safe to use on anyone…”
I remember it like yesterday. I was out to dinner, enjoying a pleasant conversation with my mother… when suddenly, she started gasping for air.
She’s a bit of a comedian, so I thought she was joking… and I even laughed a bit.
But as she desperately pointed to her throat, her eyes got wider and wider. She knocked her glass over, shattering it on the table. My laughter turned to fear… then shock. As she tried to scream, I could see it in her eyes: My mom believes she’s about to die.
By this point, a crowd had formed. Everyone was yelling and calling 911… but nobody knew what to do – immediately – to help my mother.
I’ll never forget how helpless I felt at that moment.
We got lucky this time – thankfully, one of the waiters had taken a first aid class – so he was able to stay calm. He saved my mother’s life with back slaps and the Heimlich Maneuver… but the experience haunted me for years after.
I kept thinking…
What if this happened to me while I was all alone?
What if I were pregnant or obese and couldn’t receive abdominal thrusts?
What do you do when all else fails?